Sunday, March 16, 2014

Tasting - Casa Gran del Siurana GR-174 Priorat


























Name: Casa Gran del Siurana GR-174 Priorat 2011
Variety: Garnatxa (40%), Caranyena (30%), Cabernet Sauvignon (30%)
Region: Priorat, Tarragona
Country: Spain
Year: 2011
Price: $17.95

Winery Review: The 2011 GR-174 was tasted from barrel and was due for bottling the following week. It has a more extravagant bouquet than the 2010 with kirsch, blood orange and blueberry. The palate is full-bodied with a sweet entry. It is very extravagant with precocious red fruits and a smudge of alcohol towards the finish. It is a bit of a hedonist, but one that comes at a decent price. Drink now-2016. (Robert Parker – 89)

My review: When I sniffed this wine, I definitely smelled mostly blueberry with possible hints of red fruits like cherry but it's really hard to differentiate the smells. When I tasted this wine, the first thing I noticed was how dry it was in my mouth. I also again tasted blueberries, and I was alone in the group I went with to taste any blueberries at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment